February 14th, 2023
August 16th, 2023
Mediatek Wifi 6 MT7921 Driver
Table of Contents
MediaTek Wifi 6 MT7921 Driver:
MediaTek, a Taiwanese chipmaker, is powering hundreds of millions of devices each year, including the latest Wi-Fi 6 technology. This new standard was developed last year to provide faster, more reliable network connectivity.
The MT7921 features better throughput from 2×2 dual-antennas; great power efficiency for longer battery life; hardware enhancements to reduce latency connections, and support for super long-range connections. It’s even being used in the newest ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) and The Ultimate Force (TUF) gaming notebooks.
1. Download the Driver:
One of the most popular wireless chips from Taiwanese manufacturer MediaTek is the Wifi 6 MT7921. Introduced in 2021, the device was first used by Asus in their ROG and TUF gaming laptops, offering superior connectivity, improved battery life, and more.
- Extract the Driver Files: After downloading the driver package, locate the downloaded file (usually a zip file) and extract its contents to a location on your computer.
- Device Manager: Right-click on the Windows Start button and select “Device Manager.” In the Device Manager window, locate your WiFi device under the “Network adapters” section. It might have a name like “Mediatek WiFi 6 MT7921” or something similar.
- Update Driver: Right-click on your WiFi device and select “Update driver.”
- Browse My Computer for Drivers: Choose the option “Browse my computer for drivers.”
- Locate the Driver Files: Click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.” Then, click the “Have Disk” button.
- Install the Driver: Browse to the location where you extracted the driver files in Step 2. Select the appropriate driver file (usually with a “.inf” extension) and click “Open.” Then, follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
- Complete Installation: Once the driver is installed, restart your computer to complete the installation process.
- Verify Installation: After your computer restarts, check the Device Manager again to ensure that the driver is correctly installed and the WiFi device is recognized without any warning signs.
Remember, driver installation can sometimes be a bit technical and varies depending on the Windows version and hardware. If you encounter any issues, you might want to consult the documentation provided by Mediatek or the manufacturer or seek assistance from their customer support.
However, after the June 2022 update of Windows 11, some users have reported that the MT7921 won’t work on their PC. The most common symptoms include intermittent connectivity, no Wi-Fi device showing up at all, and a “This device cannot start (Code 10)” error message when trying to connect.
The best way to fix the problem is to download and install a new driver for your Mediatek MT7921. You can do this by downloading a free driver update from the official Microsoft site, or by installing a driver from a trusted source such as ASUS or Lenovo.
2. Uninstall the Old Driver:
In some cases, an older version of the driver may not work properly. If so, you can uninstall it and re-install the newer version of the driver to solve the issue.
If the newer version of the driver still does not work, there are several other steps you can take to fix the problem. First, try a clean install of the Wi-Fi driver to ensure the computer recognizes the device properly.
Next, update the driver using Windows updates or a manufacturer’s companion app. Make sure you choose the most recent version of the driver available from the computer’s manufacturer.
Another method is to use the My ASUS app (available in the Microsoft Store). This can be a helpful way to download and update your MediaTek MT7921 driver. This app is also compatible with Windows 11 and is updated frequently, so you should have no trouble finding the latest version of the driver for your Asus PC.
3. Restart the Computer:
If your device is having a problem and does not connect to the WiFi network, you can try to restart your computer. This is one of the best ways to make your WiFi work again, and will also fix any other issues that you are experiencing with your WiFi.
You can perform this action by pressing and holding the power button on your PC for close to 50-60 seconds. This will reset your BIOS to the default settings.
The best part about this process is that it works on most devices. The only downside to it is that it can take some time to complete.
Another way to make your WiFi work again is by automating the WLAN Auto Configuration service on your PC. This is a service that Microsoft includes in Windows to help you manage your wireless connections. It’s also a good idea to check your system’s Power Management setting. If you don’t have this feature on your system, it could be the cause of your WiFi disconnecting randomly.
4. Reinstall the Driver:
Various Windows 11 users have reported that the MediaTek Wifi 6 MT7921 Driver does not work on their computers. They are getting the message “This device could not be started (code 10)”.
The problem is usually caused by an outdated driver version or software conflicts. In such cases, it is best to update the driver to the latest one.
Download the new driver from the official website of the hardware manufacturer or other trusted sources. This way, you can ensure that your WiFi 6 MT7921 is working properly on your Windows PC.